Best 10 PDF Readers for Windows 11 in 2023 [In Depth Review]
Some of the best PDF readers for Windows 11 are Macro, Foxit PDF Reader, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, DocFly PDF Viewer, Soda PDF, PDFescape, WinZip PDF Pro, pdfFiller, Xodo PDF Reader, and Speechify.
In this article, we’ll highlight the top options and help you find the PDF Reader for Windows 11 that fits your needs.
What are the Top PDF Readers for Windows 11?
Macro is a powerful and intuitive PDF editor for anyone who deals with PDFs regularly. It’s an all-in-one PDF editor that lets you edit, review, sign, and protect documents.
Its easy-to-use interface and sleek design make it seamless for knowledge professionals to smartly and quickly get through their document-related work.
- Macro has PDF editing features to add, highlight, redline, and redact text.
- Summarize long documents into short, digestible paragraphs to find out the crux of the document.
- Click on the hyperlinked text and get terms or clauses definitions without leaving Macro or scrolling through documents.
- Compare old and latest document versions to finalize edits.
- Navigate PDFs with automatic bookmarks, hyperlinked terms, and web-style tabs.
- AI-powered error detection to avoid costly mistakes in contracts and presentations
Pros and Cons
✅ Comes with a rich free plan including all the necessary PDF editing features.
✅ Has a desktop app to edit and save files offline, securely.
✅ Simple and sleek design to get accustomed to the tool immediately.
❌ Doesn’t have an online version.
Macro has a free-to-use app you can download for Windows 11 and get started right away.
If you are not completely happy with features on the free plan, upgrade to Macro’s paid version for $49/user per month . We also offer customized plans for enterprises with dedicated support, billing and configuration.
#2. Foxit PDF Reader
Foxit PDF Reader is among the best PDF solutions in the market. It can help you view, annotate, and sign PDFs.
This PDF reader is handy on all devices—Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, the web, and Linux.
Foxit PDF Reader Features for Windows 11
- Has annotation tools to provide feedback while reading documents by drawing, marking, or commenting anywhere on PDFs. Furthermore, add images, videos, and file attachments to PDFs.
- Foxit has some powerful editing and redaction capabilities to keep sensitive information safe. It comes with a 'shared view' functionality to read and share feedback in real-time.
- The platform integrates with popular cloud storage and ECMs, ensuring cross-platform sharing and uninterrupted collaboration.
- Sign documents in your handwriting or via the software’s e-sign feature.
- Keep your e-sign protected from vulnerabilities with several security modes: Trust Manager/Safe Mode, Security Warning Dialogs, and more.
- Embed free add-ons and browser plugins to extend Foxit PDF Reader capabilities, including spell checker and 3D functionalities.
Pros and Cons
✅ Comes with powerful annotation tools.
✅ Great cross-platform usage (desktop, mobile, and cloud).
❌ The pro version is only supported on desktop.
If you're using Foxit for reading and viewing PDFs, you can purchase the cloud-native version of this PDF editor.
The platform has two plans to choose from:
- PDF Editor Suite: $15.05 per month
- PDF Editor Suite Pro: $18.55 per month
#3. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Acrobat Reader DC is a veteran PDF reader for Windows PCs. This sleek, purpose-oriented tool has just enough features to read PDFs. To use the software, you need to download its app first.
Acrobat Reader DC Features
- The new auto-adjust layout mode in Acrobat automatically adjusts the content per your screen size.
- As a focused reader, you can add text boxes, sticky notes, and highlights anywhere in the PDF and refer to them later.
- Acrobat's intuitive app and Chrome extension lets you store and access files on the cloud, so you can access PDFs on the go.
- It's easy to share PDF files using third-party apps like Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, Microsoft Teams, and WhatsApp.
- Acrobat lets you fill form fields with images, stamps, attachments, and text. You can also upload your digital signature or create a signature and e-sign forms.
- Protect your PDFs by restricting viewing and editor access.
Pros and Cons
✅ Exceptional collaboration and file-sharing features.
✅ Save PDFs on the cloud to make them more accessible.
❌ Complex interface (feels like layer-after-layer addition of features).
❌ Too expensive for individuals and SMBs.
To use Acrobat Pro, you have to pay $29.99 per month .
#4. DocFly PDF Viewer
DocFly is cloud-native PDF reader software. The platform has a ribbon-style toolbar layout, making it easy to use. Working on the cloud avoids the hassle of software installation.
DocFly PDF Reader Features
- Drag and drop files directly into DocFly's web app. The tool integrates with cloud storage apps like Dropbox and Google Drive for smooth import, export, and sharing.
- Offer detailed PDF viewing features. It has Zoom-in-and-out buttons and a page dropdown to select pages directly.
- Select Edit from the top toolbar to access annotation tools. Add text, redact content, and e-sign documents. You can also find tools to convert, merge, and reorder documents.
- Password-protect PDFs using encryption and restrict unknown users to view and edit PDFs.
Pros and Cons
✅The tool’s easy to use for beginners.
✅ Has a cloud-native platform, accessible via any device with an internet connection.
❌ It's a reserved, single-player platform. Has next to no tools for collaboration.
DocuFly is a free online PDF reader, however, it comes with monthly limitations on the number of PDFs exported or downloaded.
To get uninterrupted downloads, 10GB cloud storage, and priority customer support, choose DocuFly Pro at $7.99/month .
#5. Soda PDF
We used Soda PDF online to read PDF files; everything was so easy to navigate. It's the most straightforward and powerful PDF reader software we've come across.
No matter how you choose to look at your PDF files:
- It rotates the orientation
- It adjusts the zoom level
Soda PDF Reader Features
- Simply drag and drop files into the online PDF reader to read them. You can also import files from cloud storage apps like Dropbox and Google Drive.
- The tool boasts some powerful text-editing capabilities, even with the free version.
- Find all the essential PDF annotation tools in the ribbon-style toolbar. Use them to highlight, underline, strikeout, redact, or place comments on PDF content.
- Soda PDF provides PDF tools to add shapes or images, fill in forms, and e-sign documents.
- Soda PDF's paid version comes with a Snapshot feature to capture particular PDF sections and copy them to your clipboard.
Pros and Cons
✅ Comes with a free version.
✅ The platform is cloud-based and easy to use.
❌ The free version lacks OCR and other interactive features.
Soda PDF's online reader has a free-forever tool. However, to take advantage of advanced features like OCR, Snapshots, and more, you have three paid options to choose from:
- Standard: $12 per month
- Pro: $15 per month
- Business: $20 per month
PDFescape is a Windows-only PDF editor solution that you can use to edit, annotate, and read PDFs.
While it offers a free online PDF editor, the tool doesn't handle large PDFs well. It takes time to load and then edit them.
However, the premium version is a smart alternative to Acrobat Reader DC for Windows 11.
PDFescape Features for Windows 11
- View PDFs easily on the web browser with intuitive options such as slide-to-zoom, sidebar-thumbnail-icon, and advanced search bar.
- The platform allows you to create basic PDF forms with options to insert custom fields like text box, check box, radio button, submit button, and more.
- It's easy to annotate documents with PDF tools like Bookmarks, Sticky Notes, Highlight, etc.
- Comes with features to move, rotate, or crop PDF pages. Another notable feature of PDFescape is Deskew, which lets you tilt page text into your preferred angle.
- Add watermarks and page numbers. Also, convert PDFs into other formats.
Pros and Cons
✅ Comes with a free version with more than enough tools to read and edit PDFs.
✅ Slow file loading speed in its free version.
❌ Has a lot of ads popping up in its free version.
❌ Exclusion of OCR and redact features from the free version.
PDFescape cloud is a free-forever tool. However, the desktop app comes with two paid subscriptions:
- Premium: $5.99/month
- Ultimate: $8.99/month
#7. WinZip PDF Pro
WinZip PDF Pro is your all-in-one solution for PDF management. From reading and editing to merging and securing, this tool streamlines your PDF workflow.
It even offers e-signing capabilities and advanced document security, making it a must-have for both personal and professional use.
WinZip PDF Reader Features
- An easy-to-use PDF tool with a reader-friendly interface. You can scroll, pan, zoom, and jump between pages quickly.
- Allows you to Bookmark important sections or use the search function to find specific key phrases.
- With built-in tabs, it's easier to open and juggle between multiple files without opening multiple windows.
- The paid version of the software comes with added features to optimize, edit, sign, protect, and convert PDFs.
Pros and Cons
✅Comes with a free-to-use plan.
✅The multi-tab view makes it easy to work on more than one PDF at once.
❌ It’s only suitable for desktops.
WinZip PDF reader is free to use on your desktop. However, you can purchase the complete suite at $74.99/year to unlock premium features.
pdfFiller is a cloud-native PDF reader with a Word-like interface. It has features and tools to assist in PDF reading and editing. Most well-known brands like Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon trust the platform.
pdfFiller PDF Reader Feature
- Drag and drop files into the web app or enter a PDF link to view them.
- The platform integrates with cloud-storage apps like DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and more, making it easier to import and export files.
- Do you want a quick survey form template? Use the in-built PDF library to choose from over 25 million fillable PDF documents.
- Type anywhere on the PDF or edit the original content and graphics. You can also redact confidential information from PDFs.
- Draw or scan handwritten text to custom-create your digital signature. It also has further customization options to change style or initials for signature.
- Comes with other intuitive features like Spell Checker, Navigation Toolbar, and Smart Guides for an easy PDF-reading experience.
Pros and Cons
✅ PDFescape is a cloud-native editor that is easily accessible from anywhere.
✅ It's a feature-rich PDF reader with an intuitive interface.
❌ No free version is available.
pdfFiller comes with a 30-day free trial. If you like the tool after your trial, upgrade to a paid plan:
- Basic: $20/month
- Plus: $30/month
- Premium: $40/month
#9. Xodo PDF Reader
Xodo is an all-in-one PDF solution offering tools to read, edit, annotate, and e-sign PDFs. It enables industry-leading PDF and cross-platform functionalities.
Xodo PDF Reader Features
- Easy-to-use interface with handy features to reorder or customize PDFs. For instance, you can rearrange, rotate, insert, or delete pages from the side menu bar.
- Xodo integrates with cloud storage apps like Dropbox and Google Drive, making uploading files easy.
- Ribbon-style toolbar makes editing, annotating, erasing, and commenting on PDFs simple. Besides, you can quickly view a summary of notes and comments in the sidebar.
- Xodo's 'Find and Replace' tool is another feather in the cap when reading PDFs. This feature helps to find and replace words efficiently.
- For people who like to take notes while reading, Xodo comes with freehand tools to highlight, draw, and take notes by clicking anywhere on the PDF.
Pros and Cons
✅Increase PDF navigability by offering features like scroll, pan, zoom, and jump links.
✅ It's a cross-platform PDF reader with several features.
❌ No free version is available.
Xodo PDF Pro offers a 7-day free trial, all features included. After that, you can purchase its premium plan at $12/month (single user). A team plan is also available with custom pricing.
Speechify is an AI-powered PDF reader and viewer with powerful text-to-speech and voice-over capabilities. It’s a go-to tool for students and professionals who love listening more than reading.
Although the platform isn't available to download on Windows PCs, you can use the software via the Chrome extension.
Speechify PDF Reader Features
- Reader-friendly interface to make it comfortable and efficient to view PDFs without distractions. It has PDF tools to highlight or save notes in the cloud.
- Ask questions about your PDF. Speechify's AI-powered chatbot with natural language processing ability helps you get contextual information from your PDFs.
- Has the ability to read your PDFs aloud. Choose from over 200+ voices with 20+ different languages and accents.
- Offers advanced OCR technology with text-book photo support. You can scan paper documents and view or listen to written text via natural-sounding voices.
- With Speechify's enterprise plan, you can edit, comment, share, and collaborate on the PDF.
Pros and Cons
✅ Enable cross-device syncing and access PDFs on the go.
✅ Has text-to-speech conversion in over 200+ voices.
✅ Comes with an AI-powered chatbot to chat with PDFs.
❌ Doesn’t have a Windows desktop app.
Speechify has a free PDF reader with limited editing features. To get the best out of Speechify, opt for Speechify Premium at $139/year .
How to Choose the Best PDF Reader for Windows 11?
Before paying for a PDF reader for Windows 11, judge them on the factors below. See for yourself if a given tool provides the functionalities you need for reading and editing PDFs.
System-Related Factors to Consider
- Compatibility: Ensure compatibility with your Windows 11 version. Also, check your OS's bit widths (32-bit or 64-bit) for optimal use.
- Lightweight, Yet Powerful: Besides being light and consuming acceptable space on your device, ensure the tool can handle various PDF file types, including interactive and multimedia-rich documents.
- Next-Gen Capabilities: Some modern PDF viewers like Macro not only satisfy your basic needs but elevate your work with capabilities like AI summaries and web-like navigation. Consider added benefits when picking a PDF tool.
Tool-Related Factors to Consider
- Annotation & Markup: Choose a PDF reader with various annotation tools like highlights, comments, sticky notes, and drawing features for effective collaboration.
- Search Functionality: Look for advanced search options to swiftly locate specific content within PDFs, including text, annotations, and regular expressions.
- Security & Privacy: Choose a reader with password protection, encryption, and redaction tools for safeguarding sensitive information.
- Additional Features: Consider features like form-filling, PDF conversion, merging, splitting, and real-time collaboration.
- User Reviews & Recommendations: Read user reviews and seek recommendations to gain insights from the experiences of others.
Read and Edit Documents Faster with Macro
You have many options if you want to edit a PDF on Windows 11. Decide which fits your needs by analyzing PDF editors based on the above-mentioned factors.
If you don't have time to try these tools, download Macro’s free-to-use app and get started today.